The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loading a Joomla site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toyutah, Nov 24, 2009.

1. toyutah

toyutah Registered

Hi all, first post here. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to upload the contents of a cms site? We have the host and dns set up, I just need to know the how and possibly where. Also need to know if I can load a Joomlapack of the site, or if I should install database, Joomla, template, extensions etc. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. mickbeng

mickbeng Well-Known Member

This is not related to cPanel.

Somehow, you should install Joomla and use the component of Joomla to install JoomlaPack.

3. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

You can download the Joomla pack and install it on your domain. However, you will have to first create the database from your cPanel account and then you can install it on your domain.

4. toyutah

toyutah Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about getting the Site organized etc. as I am where to enter it in cPanel. Do I upload in file manager somewhere, or in domains? My partner mentioned something about using "festico" or something to upload with and I can't find it.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Fantastico is what he was referring to I think. If you have it in your cPanel you'll see a small purple smilie icon for it there. Taking that route is the easiest route to install your new site, as it will create the database, upload the files for you and configure them all with a few clicks.

If you don't have that, you can upload the Joomla package to a directory somewhere of your own choosing. If you want it in the root of your account, you'd upload to the public_html directory. If you wanted to test, you could upload it to a directory called testjoomla, for example.

If you don't have an FTP client for uploading files, you can use the cPanel File Manager. If you use the File Manager, upload the zip file of Joomla to a temporary work directory where you can then use the File Manager to unpack the files needed to run the installer.

Joomla! Help Site - Browser Installation (the easy way)

Your host should be able to answer these questions for you. ;)

6. toyutah

toyutah Registered

Thanks Infopro, I'm getting closer. I installed 1.0 on accident though. Just trying to remove that now without removing anything I shouldn't. Then I will probably just start with 1.5, then template and everything.

I thought joomlapack copied everything including the database so all I would need to do is upload that somewhere, but that is seeming difficult to figure out.

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Lots of docs to cover this type of installation located here. Including videos. :)
    http://joomlapack.net/help-and-support/documentation.html

Any way you install this though, short of Fantastico, you WILL need the database setup first from within your cPanel MySQL databases section.

In this order on that page you should follow exactly:

1) You want a database named whatever. So, you type in whatever to the New Database box you see there, and click Create. You're told it has been created. Click Go Back.

2) Scroll down to the section called MySQL Users. We need to add a user. Type in the name david (as an example) type in davids password, twice, or generate one here using the tool provided. Now click Create User. You're told it has been created, click Go Back.

3) Next we need to set that new user to use that new database. Scoll down to bottom of page again to find the Add User to Database. Select the user named cpanelusername_david and on the other drop down menu just below, select the database cpanelusername_whatever. Next click Add.

On next page, click the option at top for "All Privileges" and click Make Changes at bottom. You are then notified that cpanelusername_david was added to database cpanelusername_whatever

We put all those details together in one place, as they will be needed for your Joomla install.

host: localhost
    user: cpanelusername_david
    password: whateveryouused
    database: cpanelusername_whatever

That should take care of the cPanel end of things. Working out how to run the installer and so on can be found in the correct documentation.

HTH