The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local->Local->Forward to Remote: Forward doesn't work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by payne, Aug 26, 2003.

1. payne

payne Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have a pop account set up with a forward so that email is kept in the pop account AND forwarded to an external email account.

Everything seems fine, except, mail sent from another local pop account doesn't get forwarded to the external account.

It appears exim/cpanel only applies the forward if the sender is not local.

Is this by design?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

This is just the way cPanel has setup their exim config. local domains are treated separately then external domains because of DNS lookups, etc. You can alter your exim.conf file to take care of this or you can simply try removing the receiving domain from /etc/localdomains

3. payne

payne Well-Known Member

So let me verify:

If a company (acme.com) has 30 or 40 people and are hosted on my box, each person with their own address; and the president of the company likes his AOL email account but (for whatever reason) still wants his email available in his acme.com pop account. Then, the default configuration won't forward any of his employees' emails to his AOL account, since they are local and exim is configured to not apply forwards if the account is found locally?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say to try removing the domain from /etc/localdomains. Do you mean remove acme.com from localdomains or remove aol.com? aol.com isn't there (of course), so you must mean acme.com. I'm kindof scared to do that... are you sure?

Also, do you know what specifically I would configure in exim to have it still check for forwarding rules even if the destination account was local?

4. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I haven't tested what you're saying...however in theory...emails send to pres@company.com from monkey@company.com will only arrive at company.com mailbox and not aol.com mailbox.

This is done because of the way exim is setup. You should be able to bypass this by removing company.com from /etc/localdomains. This really isn't a big deal, this simply means that the server needs to do a DNS lookup rather than scanning the file for local domains...pretty simple stuff.

No, I don't know off the top of my head how to configure the cpanel exim config to suite your needs. Further to that, changes would most likely be overwritten with an update...so our efforts would probably be fruitless...even if you use the WHM editor.