The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Mail Server for Domain Hosted Remotely - Configuration MX

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by RationalRabbit, Dec 18, 2015.

1. RationalRabbit

A client opened a new domain with another host. That host does not provide e-mail, so we set it up so that mail would point to my server.

MX is set with 0 priority to the proper mail server. I've done nothing to change the default setup in WHM.

The client is receiving mail okay, and when he sends an e-mail to any address on my server (the server that is hosting his e-mail accounts), it works fine. E-mails to other servers are rejected - I am not sure where the rejection is happening. (sorry, I do not have the error message)

Is this possibly occurring on the server itself? Is there a change I need to make in the local SMTP?

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :),

I think there is an issues with the mx record. Can you please confirm your mx entry and verify that.

Also are you getting any bounce back mail from remote server when you send mail to remote mail server?

3. RationalRabbit

I think we may have solved the problem. Have not been able to contact the client yet to test.

I have changed the MX record from 'domain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 domain.com' to 'domain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.domain.com'.
    And 'mail 14400 IN CNAME domain.com' was changed to 'mail 14400 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. RationalRabbit

Yes, the domain is there.
    Finally got the error message from the client.
    Ran tests this morning and it still occurs.
    Don't understand this message at all, but it seems that it could indicate a lot of various problems, some of which I'm checking out, but passing this along in case it might provide some insight.
    I realize there may be a propagation factor, but my experience is that changes 9 out of 10 times take far less than 24 hours, and this was done last night.
    Below is the error code:

503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Is this reproducible when sending email through a webmail application such as Roundcube? The message typically indicates that authentication for outgoing email is not enabled in the mail client used for sending.

Thank you.

7. RationalRabbit

It appears you have put your finger on the problem. Logged into Webmail and was able to send through Horde without a hitch.
    Puzzled though, have checked and rechecked the client (Outlook 2016) settings and run a scanpst on the pst files. Guess I will research some more.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  9. RationalRabbit

Could this be a DKIM or SPF problem?
    If so, what can be done? Can these be instigated at the registrar, pointing to mail.domain.com, or what happens when a recipient tries to authenticate?

10. RationalRabbit

I am well versed in setting up a client account in Outlook. I have literally set up hundreds of accounts over the years.
    The account is set up correctly. It sends to other addresses on my server without a problem.

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you notice any specific error messages in /var/log/exim_mainlog when the user fails to send email through their email client?

Thank you.