The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local resolve problem after account removal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inalto, Mar 8, 2007.

  1. inalto

    inalto Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2004
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hello,

    I just removed an account from a server, and i need to communicate with the new server.
    It's the first time I do that.
    I removed all the zones regarding that account (myserveraccount.com).
    but if I do:
    #host myserveraccount.com

    I dont get anything instead of the new ip number of the new server.

    also a dig does not report the correct A field.

    But the strange thing is that the
    dig SOA myserveraccount.com report the proper authority secrion.
    dig NS myserveraccount.com report the correct dns fields!

    Seems that only the A field is not resolved by main servers.

    I am missing something?

    Thank you in advance.
     
  2. psrsathish

    psrsathish Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    India.
    Hi ,

    Edit the file /etc/named.conf in your old server and deleted the particular domain zone entry which will look like below
    zone "yourdomain.com" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/yourdomain.com";


    After that don't forget to restart the named service. :)
     
    #2 psrsathish, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  3. inalto

    inalto Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2004
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hello,

    Ok I have checked with dig and dig properly respond with a empty A field.

    In my resolv.conf i have in that order:
    ns1.mydns1.com
    ns2.mydns2.com
    ns1.otherdns.com
    ns2.otherdns.com

    All the servers are not resolving, and via dig i can check that those ns are not resolving the ip for mydomain.com
    And this is the problem, seems that named after i have removed th zone for mydomain.com does not respond with "fail" but respond with an empty A field.

    If i try to resolve a non existent domain, as example:
    #host qepqeowewp.com
    i properly get
    Host qepqeowewp.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

    if i try:
    #host mydomain.com

    i get an empty string and not the "Host not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)" error.

    So named properly respond with an empty zone but not anymore with a "3 non existent domain" error, and I think that is for that reason does not try to search on the whois ns records of mydomain.com.
     
  4. inalto

    inalto Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2004
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hello,

    I have solved the problem changing the order of the nameservers in resolv.conf

    I have changed resolv.conf from

    nameserver ***.***.***.*** (my local ns ip 1)
    nameserver ***.***.***.*** (my local ns ip 2)

    nameserver 208.67.222.222 (opendns)
    nameserver 208.67.220.220 (opendns)

    to

    nameserver 208.67.222.222 (opendns)
    nameserver 208.67.220.220 (opendns)
    nameserver ***.***.***.*** (my local ip 1)
    nameserver ***.***.***.*** (my local ip 2)

    (opendns is used as an example, i not use opendns but other dns)
    And now it works. But i am not sure that this is the best thing to do.
    This also solved some "unrouteable mail" errors.
     
Loading...

Share This Page