The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local user for webmail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Merko, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Would this improvement be useful?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Merko

Merko Registered

I'm a satisfied user of a cPanel-based host. However, I wonder if it would be possible to allow logins to a webmail account using a local username. Eg, instead of having to type "john@doe.net" at the login prompt, just "john" would suffice when there is such an account on the main domain being accessed. Also, it would make sense that the user could select which of the three mail clients to use just once and for all, and then be directed to that page directly instead of having to choose it each time at login. After all, I doubt many users will use more than one client in the end, so this step is unnecessary.

These improvements may only save you 20 seconds each time you log in, but this is something you do thousands of times and it gets a bit annoying in the long run.

2. chris8lunch

chris8lunch Well-Known Member

I think it would be great, even have an option to use a username that has nothing to do with the email address to be more secure.;)

3. angelina_holy

angelina_holy Well-Known Member

Its a good idea but i dont think webmail has anything like that . you can try accessing the webmail through capnel>>mails>>webmail

4. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

That wouldn't work because you can also access webmail via an IP address i.e. by going to:
    https://127.0.0.3:2096

So if there are multiple webmaster or info email addresses on the same server how would the server tell which account you are trying to log in...

5. Merko

Merko Registered

If you access the domain through IP, it may not work. Simple as that. But if you do access it through a domain name, it could work.