Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Local webmail link with domain pointed external?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Metro2, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This might be a silly question but I've been digging around and can't seem to find a real way to do this.

Scenario - user has cPanel account and keeping email hosted on local server, but the A record for the domain is pointed to a different host destination, and I'm wondering there's a way to give a direct webmail link without them logging into cPanel or using the hostname.

I already know how to set the MX and mail A record to keep mail local while the domain's master A record points to different host / destination like so:

example.com. 14400 IN MX Priority: 0 Destination: mail.example.com
    mail.example.com. 14400 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (local IP of server)

Which is fine for most users who use mail client software local on their device.

BUT what I'd LIKE to be able to do is give them a webmail link for Roundcube or Horder that does NOT require using the server's hostname (long story, but suffice to say the person "managing" mail for their company is not allowed to access cPanel and does not want to use local mail client software on their computer, or offload to different webmail service).

Obvious example.com/webmail does not work when the domain's master A record points to different host, but I'm wondering if it's possible to create a custom DNS entry that would give them some kind of webmail URL like webmail.example.com that allows them direct access to RoundCube / Horde, instead of hostname.com/webmail or hostname.com:2096

Is such a thing possible?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Metro2 likes this.
  3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @cPanelLauren - I was just coming here to post the solution I came up with and see that you responded. Thanks for the reply and the link.

Early this morning I did something a little different than your example, and this *might* actually be safer / more "recommended" method for some people, and it's actually quite simple. Just in case this can help someone else someday here's what I did:

1. In cPanel > Subdomains - created a subdomain getmail.example.com (obviously user's domain in place of example.com)

2. In cPanel > Redirects - set getmail.example.com to redirect to https://server.hostnameexample.com:2096/ (obviously my server's hostname in place of server.hostnameexample)

3. Told user to use https://getmail.example.com to access their Webmail

Works nicely, easy to implement, user is happy :)

But if you think there are any concerns with my method please feel free to critique / give your opinion / let me know if there are any downsides to my method.

Thank you again for the response, always appreciated!

cPanelLauren likes this.
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Metro2

Awesome, thanks for your resolution as well! I'm glad you got it sorted :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. brt

brt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm curious why no one so far is just using webmail.domain.com and letting it redirect, as cPanel does by default now, to https://webmail.domain.com?

If this is an old account it might not have the newer configuration quite right to do that, but that's what current cPanel servers do.... and the nice part is it uses the standard https port, so no :2096 in the URL.

This would work regardless of the website being hosted on the cPanel server or not, as long as webmail.domain.com was pointed at the cPanel server.

No, seriously, this is just standard cPanel 101 -- @cPanelLauren why did you not point this out to the OP?

@Metro2, this is your best bet by far -- no extra additional hostnames/redirects, and it runs on the standard https port.

#5 brt, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019
    cPanelLauren likes this.