local works, remote does not

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We have a really weird problem on one domain and any throughs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

local deliver to the domain works fine. I tried cal 2008 | mail -s "test" [email protected]. checked the inbox and it's there.

Remote delivery fails with 550 no such user. Sent an email from another server to [email protected]. and it fails with the no such user. I checked exim_mainlog on the box that hosts the account. I can see the SMTP connection coming in but it is rejected with the 500.

I'm totally baffled.

TIA

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We have a really weird problem on one domain and any throughs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

local deliver to the domain works fine. I tried cal 2008 | mail -s "test" [email protected]. checked the inbox and it's there.

Remote delivery fails with 550 no such user. Sent an email from another server to [email protected]. and it fails with the no such user. I checked exim_mainlog on the box that hosts the account. I can see the SMTP connection coming in but it is rejected with the 500.

I'm totally baffled.

TIA
Then I tend to believe that the DNS records have not been changed to point to the nameservers for that domain. If you are on a windows machine do:

nslookup -q=mx domain.com

Check the MX record - then do

nslookup <hostname that the MX points to> and see if it resolves to the IP address of your machine.

Sounds like DNS is pointing to an MX other than your system - possibly one that used to host the domain before you did?

Mike

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the through but DNS resolves properly. When I look at exim_mainlog I can see the account lookup from the remote MX. exim is replying with a rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: no such address here.

Any other ideas :D