The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local works, remote does not

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ffeingol, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We have a really weird problem on one domain and any throughs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

local deliver to the domain works fine. I tried cal 2008 | mail -s "test" a@domain.com. checked the inbox and it's there.

Remote delivery fails with 550 no such user. Sent an email from another server to a@domain.com. and it fails with the no such user. I checked exim_mainlog on the box that hosts the account. I can see the SMTP connection coming in but it is rejected with the 500.

I'm totally baffled.

TIA

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Then I tend to believe that the DNS records have not been changed to point to the nameservers for that domain. If you are on a windows machine do:

nslookup -q=mx domain.com

Check the MX record - then do

nslookup <hostname that the MX points to> and see if it resolves to the IP address of your machine.

Sounds like DNS is pointing to an MX other than your system - possibly one that used to host the domain before you did?

Mike

3. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello Mike,

Thanks for the through but DNS resolves properly. When I look at exim_mainlog I can see the account lookup from the remote MX. exim is replying with a rejected RCPT <a@mydomain.com>: no such address here.

Any other ideas :D