The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

localdomain missing AGAIN

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iris, Oct 10, 2005.

1. iris

iris Member

Folks,

I am having problems with my mail server where when i wake up in the morning after having made no changes to the server the email is broken. After investigating this the first time i found the localdomains file was empty. I ran /scripts/updateuserdomains and it did nor work, i then ran /scripts/mailperm and it finally rebuilt the localdomains file. After about three hours cpanel support responded to my ticket and said "we see nothing wrong in your logs", of course not i fixed it and explained to them how.

It happened again this morning and i updated my support ticket and again fixed the problem. This time i pushed them to find why it keeps happening and i was told the following:

"Unfortunatly now that this has been fixed there is nothing I can look at to see what happened. In the future please let us know so we can take a look at it ASAP."

I again explained that i had already found the problem and how to fix it but i need them to help find the , and that i was not willing to let my customers email bounce for up to three hours till they respond.

Am i just in a bad mood from having customers calling in with email problems for the second day and sound like they are trying to blow me off, or is that seem like a valid support request?

Does anyone here have any suggestions on finding out why the localdomains file keeps being overwritten?

Thanks
    Adam

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi,

One thing to check is that you don't have a root cron job running that is running /scripts/mailperm regularly. I've seen servers that have had this and it has caused /etc/localdomains to empty due to file locking issues.

3. iris

iris Member

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I checked crontab and it is not running mailperm, however there is this entry:

" 0 6 * * * /scripts/exim_tidydb > /dev/null 2>&1"

A quick look at the script didn't show it touching localdomains, but might this be the problem?

Thanks
    Adam

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, that's a standard job that shouldn't affect localdomains.

One other thing to check would be that you do not have a file called /etc/remotedomains with the domains that go missing in it.

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

hey chirpy. I run mailperm as a cron hourly for some reason. It's been running for a year or two and I can't remember why. Should i remove that cron job?

6. kornaz

kornaz Member

I'm experiencing the same problem with my webhosting server, running the latest WHM 10.6.0 and cPanel 10.8.0-R58 starting last week. Exim stops working everyday now - I have more than 2000 domains hosted, but when exim stops working i see only like 30 of them in /etc/localdomains . /scripts/mailperm fixes this issue, but only for one day for some reason.

By the way, i see some interesting records in /var/log/exim_mainlog when Exim stops working. Here is the example:

2005-10-10 20:41:35 failed to expand condition "${perl{democheck}}" for demochec
    k router: Undefined subroutine &main::democheck called.

2005-10-10 20:41:35 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkbx_autowhitelist}{$a
    uthenticated_id}}" for boxtraper_autowhitelist router: Undefined subroutine &mai
    n::getdomainowner called at /etc/exim.pl line 62.

2005-10-10 20:41:35 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for lookupho
    st router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

2005-10-10 20:41:35 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for literal
    router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

I'm running Fedora Core 4 with the latest updates.

# rpm -qa | grep -i 'perl'
    perl-Filter-1.30-7
    perl-5.8.6-15
    perl-DBI-1.48-4

7. iris

iris Member

The same errors i get, also running Fedora 4.

Adam

8. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

try adding exim* to the exclusion list in /etc/yum.conf and then running /scripts/eximup

9. kornaz

kornaz Member

Well, I believe that I'm currently running WHM's Exim:

# rpm -qa | grep -i 'exim'
    exim-4.52-15_cpanel_maildir

Also, after doing '/scripts/courierup --force' and '/scripts/eximup --force' (as suggested in the previous thread) my SMTP works again. The question is - for how long...

10. iris

iris Member

There seems to be no exclusion list in my yum.conf, however i am running the cPanel exim:

"rpm -qa | grep -i 'exim'
    exim-4.52-7_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass"

11. kornaz

kornaz Member

Damn, /etc/localdomains dissapeared completely from my system few minutes ago. /scripts/mailperm fixed it, but... This is not a solution. Something's wrong guys, we're are waiting for some kind of a patch... :/

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Up to you, of course, but I would only run it if necessary and as I said, I've also seen running it cause problems if it clashes with something else and ends up wiping out the file.

13. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

Seems to have worked for me on a fedora 4 box.

14. iris

iris Member

Sure enough i got one day with no problem and then while i was sitting here tonight my mail client popped up with errors and sure enough errors in my exim_mainlog and no localdomains.

Anyone have any ideas?