Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

location of mail spool

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fuzzymonkey

fuzzymonkey Well-Known Member

Can't receive emails from webmail for 1 virtual account

I'm having a strange problem on my server with one particular virtual account: the client can't receive email. Emails sent to username@hisdomain.com just disappear, but emails sent to username@serverhostname.com get there just fine. He is using my DNS servers, so I know that all the DNS settings, including the MX record, are correct. What in the world could this be? I had to change the permissions of his /home/username/mail folder, but that was done after this problem developed and did not solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Also, does anybody know where the mail spool is on RHE 3/WHM? There are spools located in /var/spool/mail, but they aren't being used.

#1 fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

/var/spool/mail is not used by exim. You need to watch your exim mainlog which on Linux servers is in /var/log/exim_mainlog and then send an email through to the domain and watch for messages/errors. If you see none, then it's not hitting your server and is most likely a DNS problem. If it is logging, then what does it log?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fuzzymonkey

Thanks. The emails are being sent to :blackhole:, but the default address is not set to blackhole - it is set to the main username. :confused: Emails to the username and to a virtual address are both being sent to blackhole, but both email accounts exist.

#3 fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Odd. Do they have a filter setup in /etc/vfilters/domain.com that could be dumping it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fuzzymonkey

No, their vfilters file is empty!

6. fuzzymonkey

Is there another place this configuration could be stored? I transferred their account to a different server and the problem still exists, so it seems to me the problem must be with a configuration option that cPanel isn't displaying.