The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

location of mail spool

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fuzzymonkey

fuzzymonkey Well-Known Member

Can't receive emails from webmail for 1 virtual account

I'm having a strange problem on my server with one particular virtual account: the client can't receive email. Emails sent to username@hisdomain.com just disappear, but emails sent to username@serverhostname.com get there just fine. He is using my DNS servers, so I know that all the DNS settings, including the MX record, are correct. What in the world could this be? I had to change the permissions of his /home/username/mail folder, but that was done after this problem developed and did not solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Also, does anybody know where the mail spool is on RHE 3/WHM? There are spools located in /var/spool/mail, but they aren't being used.

#1 fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

/var/spool/mail is not used by exim. You need to watch your exim mainlog which on Linux servers is in /var/log/exim_mainlog and then send an email through to the domain and watch for messages/errors. If you see none, then it's not hitting your server and is most likely a DNS problem. If it is logging, then what does it log?

3. fuzzymonkey

Thanks. The emails are being sent to :blackhole:, but the default address is not set to blackhole - it is set to the main username. :confused: Emails to the username and to a virtual address are both being sent to blackhole, but both email accounts exist.

#3 fuzzymonkey, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Odd. Do they have a filter setup in /etc/vfilters/domain.com that could be dumping it?

5. fuzzymonkey

No, their vfilters file is empty!

6. fuzzymonkey

Is there another place this configuration could be stored? I transferred their account to a different server and the problem still exists, so it seems to me the problem must be with a configuration option that cPanel isn't displaying.