Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Location of SSL certificate file

Discussion in 'Security' started by rudolfl, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rudolfl

rudolfl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all,

First a bit of history.
    One of the accounts has a domain www.example.com
    There is a mail server associated with this domain mail.example.com
    www.domain.com is protected by SSL, but "mail.example.com" is using self-signed certificate provided by cPanel.

Geniuses at Apple updated iPhone to iOS10 and that stupid system does not have the option of trusting self-signed certificates anymore! So, it constantly pops up with message "can not verify server identity of mail.example.com"

Going through various Apple treads, I found that I can manually load the certificate into iPhone. The only question left is where do I find the certificate file?

So, I need to find certificate file that belongs to a mail server of a particular account and this certificate was generated by cPanel itself.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
    Rudolf

#1 rudolfl, May 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. rudolfl

rudolfl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Michael,

All fixed now.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Scenario:
    By default, mail server name is mail.domain.com and this is how I configured my mail client (settings are shown in cPanel "Setup e-mail Client" under e-mail accouns).

All is good while domain does not have SSL installed and is covered by cPanel AutoSSL. When one installs third-party SSL on domain that only covers www.domain.com and domain.com (most common case), access to mail.domain.com becomes problematic. All mail clients will throw a warning about SSL and will allow you to create an exception. After that things are back to normal.

Apple, in their infinite wisdom decided NOT to allow exceptions from iOS10 on iPhone. Result is disastrous, as annoying security warning pops up very often when you are in the middle of something. And, needless to say, e-mails not working.

Fix is to change incoming and outgoing mail server on iPhone to domain.com.

Rudolf

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm happy to see you were able to solve the issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.