The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

locked myself out ssh only

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Jul 22, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi the other day i did what i was told and i changed

now not even with my certificate can i get in to ssh

i signed up to do a ticket but it tells me that my hostname and ip dont match my ticket service id. well i put in every ip i have and no good. I did change my host name after i got the trial, but its only the 5th day on trial.

Im stuck and not sure what to do other than ask my host to change the file back if he can.

Anything i can do please, thanks :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

We will not be able to assist you with root authentication in a support ticket. You would have to contact your data center or hosting provider so they can reset your SSH configuration file. However, note that with WHM access, you could add a user to the wheel group, access SSH as that user, and then "su" to "root" once logged in.

Thank you.

3. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    my host cant even get it back up, we booted it again and again and it wont come back online.. so i think ill just toss the last week of work in the trash, wipe the hard drive and start over, and this time i will NOT change that to no, i dont care who tells me to do it im not gonna do it..

thanks for your reply, im not mad at you im just so sick to my stomach over this whole thing, this is supose to be easy, but its not, its agrivating, time consuming, costly, irritating madness...

to think that i have to spend more money to get a proper fix for the symlink issue is just rediculious. If bluehost can come up with a solution then so can CP.. and one that i dont have to spend another time that will work. And try to google instructions to find out how to install the mod thing. maybe you pros know the right key words to look for but we dont. I cant even find docs on how to install the thing. I dont even want symlinks and the other match link deal, i want to remove them completey and if anyone complains tough cookies

sorry its not you im just so tired of this, a whole week down the tubes for nothing... because i honestly dont know right now if one of the hits from china actually got access and shut me down because they started hitting me last week 1 day after i started this trial and i didnt know it because i was setting things up. But then i found the logs. so who knows what they did... i guess ill just redo it all over again from scratch.

#3 durangod, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I'm not sure how the issue you have initially reported on this thread relates to symbolic links, but we do have the following post available if you are looking for recommended methods of protecting against symlink attacks:

Solutions for handling symlink attacks

Thank you.