Yanuar Baskoro

Registered
Jan 20, 2018
Indonesia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello fellow cPanel User.

This occur yesterday January 19th, 2018 6.45AM (+7GMT) I've got info from my fellow Tech Support that one of our server got "Starting sshd: Privilege separation user sshd does not exist FAILED" messages. Shortly all function goes down except WHM.
So I managed to access our server via IPMI console, but with no luck. I can't login with its credential, so I decide to reboot it.
In the process I found that my "/" mounted as -ro, I still cant login to it via console, but strangely I can access it via WHM interface and there's no active process user except dbus and nscd

What I've done is :
full fsck
- If I load Cloudlinux kernel 2.6.32-896.16.1.lve1.4.49.el6.x86_64, dracut will mount "/" as ro, indeed I can't login to console via IPMI and I can't login to WHM either because WHM tells me that its license is invalid/expired

- dracut didn't mount the "/" as ro with Cloudlinux kernel “2.6.32-673.26.1.lve1.4.30.el6.x86_64” . but I still can't logon to console via IPMI. WHM login is doable but I can't do anything further than submitting cPanel ticket, but they can't help further due to lack of access since we can't bring sshd up

Last edited by a moderator:

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you tried the script that will provide a minimal, default configuration of SSH to allow you to log in. To use this script, you append the following to the url for WHM: /scripts2/doautofixer?autofix=safesshrestart

eg https://YourServerIP:2087/scripts2/doautofixer?autofix=safesshrestart

Take note of the output from running that script, as it may restart ssh on a port other than 22 if somehow the previous ssh instance is still running.

(Please note: If you are thinking about upgrading the Kernel to current, if you are running on Xen PV, the CloudLinux Kernels written to mitigate the Meltdown/Spectre exploits will not work, and you should migrate to Xen HVM)

Last edited:

Yanuar Baskoro

Registered
Jan 20, 2018
Indonesia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
nope, they say my case is one of kind. A lot of package has been corrupted by unknown reason.

Now I manage to transfer our server to another server in rescue layer. I'll let they continue after we finished, so they can continue investigating the case. I have another 2 weeks before datacenter suspend my server.

Since mysql service refuses to start, I transfer all database as FRM, MYI and MYD. I'll let you know when they found something.

6TB of data are pain in the @## to move thou :(