cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Very strange...

Code:
[email protected] [/home]# passwd root
Changing password for user root.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[email protected] [/home]#
Yet, I cannot login via WHM or via regular SSH without a key. Obviously "yourdomain" is not my real domain:

Code:
login as: root
[email protected]'s password:
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Are you sure password authentication is permitted? Review the following option in Web Host Manager to see if it's enabled:

"WHM Home » Security Center » SSH Password Authorization Tweak"

Thank you.

yebo

Registered
Nov 13, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello :)

Are you sure password authentication is permitted? Review the following option in Web Host Manager to see if it's enabled:

"WHM Home » Security Center » SSH Password Authorization Tweak"

Thank you.
How am I supposed to go into the WHM Security Center if I cannot login to WHM?!?

Serra

Oct 27, 2005
Florida
Those two things are not naturally tied together. It may be that one setting has nothing to do with another setting. Password for root in SSH is a setting.

As for WHM, do you know how you were locked out? Was it a firewall block or perhaps cPHulk? Knowing that will allow you to figure out how to undo the block. Is it IP based? Then you can always use a phone or different computer to login and undo it. If your password is wrong, then I'm not sure what you can do.

yebo

Registered
Nov 13, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Those two things are not naturally tied together. It may be that one setting has nothing to do with another setting. Password for root in SSH is a setting.

As for WHM, do you know how you were locked out? Was it a firewall block or perhaps cPHulk? Knowing that will allow you to figure out how to undo the block. Is it IP based? Then you can always use a phone or different computer to login and undo it. If your password is wrong, then I'm not sure what you can do.
Good call, it was cphulk.

Thanks!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Note that it's a good idea to add your IP address or IP range to the cPhulk white list to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Thank you.