The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locked Out of WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by build18er, Feb 9, 2007.

1. build18er

build18er Member

Suddenly, I am no longer able to login under the root username and password into WHM. I know that i didn't change the password, and the same root, and password work fine for using SSH. I have my server management company looking into it, but I figgured i would see if anyone else had any ideas of what is going on. I am running WHM 11.0.0 cPanel 11.1-NIGHTLY_182
    CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1..

Thanks for the help.

Matt

2. ujr

ujr Well-Known Member

may be that someone got your password.

try disabling password auth for ssh and use keys, and when accessing whm, use SSL ... ALWAYS!

3. build18er

build18er Member

The pass is intact

No one has the password, it has not been changed. The server can be logged into using that password through SSH.

4. ujr

ujr Well-Known Member

okay, i read your initial post a bit too quickly. is cpanel running fine otherwise? have you tried stoping and restarting the service, and are the ports bound to the service properly?

Those are things that I suppose your host will look into. Otherwise, I wouldn't know why it would fail to work...never encountered that ever.

Don't know if it would solve your issue, but have you tried /scripts/upcp --force?

5. color

color Active Member

same problem for me today on one of my servers.
    It was solved easy - I just logged in over SSH and changed password to same one with "passwd" command.

6. build18er

build18er Member

Thanks

That worked for me. i just ran passwd. Do you know what caused this?

7. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

I think its a problem with the latest Edge update... just ran upcp on 5 servers from edge 70 to edge 183, and was subsequently locked out of 4 of them. Only appears to affect root whm login access though.

8. dcdigital

dcdigital Member

Same here.... lates Edge update today, and suddently we couldn't access WHM. We did the command-line 'passwd' command to reset the password - simply entering the password as it was before. We were able to immediately access WHM after that.

Odd bug....concerns me that it's messing with the root user permissions!

9. Nhojohl

Nhojohl Well-Known Member

I had the EXACT same problem, I just contacted my DC to have it manually changed though.

I deleted my private key file accedentally and when I logged in to retreive it from WHM I noticed a new version of WHM was available while browsing the cPanel downloads page. So I decided to upgrade before retrieving my key...

So in short... I have no current way of logging into my server until the DC resets the pass manually.

- John

10. build18er

build18er Member

Nightly

I am running NIGHTLY, and am still having problems. One solution until they fix the issue is to give root permissions to a second account, so if your root gets locked out, just use the secondary account to fix things.

11. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

nightly builds are usually the one that is still sitting on the developers desk and is kind of like a test build. EDGE is similiar to that but typically has some testing done. That's what I normally run is EDGE ..however this root@WHM issue bit me last night as well. I will post when there is a fix for you guys.