The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

log files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anand, Dec 18, 2002.

1. anand

anand Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was wondering if someone could help out in this matter. Clients log files are taking massive disk space on the server and they don't even count under their disk space. Now i know using the Tweak settings i can get logs to be deleted everytime the stats are run but there are people who still want the raw logs.

This is a manual turn around which i did.

Made a directory called domlogs inside the /home/user. Moved the access log file from apache domlogs directory to the user directory and created a symlink to the original location. Now things look nice for a while. The trouble comes in when the user deletes the raw log file. The next time the file gets created it gets root permission. I was wondering why is this ? If its the same user logs why do we need root permissions on it anyways.

Hope someone can shed light on this matter. Btw the above the same way i saw Plesk working on a server of a friend of mine. Plesk stores all the logs inside the user directory so if he wants the logs, its his diskspace they eat and not mine.