The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Log rotating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DN-Paul, May 26, 2004.

1. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

Currently I have cpanel deleting users access logs at the end of every month, which works well for everyone and everyone is happy, however I have one account who's access log gets huge, which is a pain to go through if I need to and causes a high load on the server for a few hours whilst the stats programs crunch on it towards the end of the month.

Is is somehow possible to get logrotate to rotate the access log for this domain every week (or maybe less) and keep a months worth of logs, so it'll be broken down into managable files which will be easy to search through and cause less load when the stats programs crunch on the latest log file.

How can I do this? and make sure it dosen't mess with the stats programs (i.e. I don't want the log to get rotated and then an hour later the stats prograns come along to crunch on the log with hardly any data in - I want it to rotate the log as soon as the stats finish running presuming it is a day that they're scheduled to be rotated to avoid too much data loss)

Thanks for any assistance.

2. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

Surely other people must have problems with large log files?

Also during cpanel startup I get the error
    Code:
    Unable to load Shared RRDTOOL support, rrdtool exec will be used (slow)
    Could this be contributing to the logs taking ages to be processed? how can this be corrected?