The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

logging cpanel forwarders?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ElrondBCN, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ElrondBCN

ElrondBCN Active Member

On most of our servers, if a user sends an email via smtp, webmail, or if the user's website creates an email in PHP or something, the outgoing message is sent through exim and MailScanner will be able to parse the message and it will be logged to a database through the MailWatch program.

These message logs appear to work perfectly for all messages to our users and almost every other kind of message, except in the case of forwarders that have been created in cpanel. If a message comes in that triggers a forwarder, the forwarder works and has always worked just fine, but it doesnt appear in MailWatch. I do see the outgoing messages being logged in /var/log/exim_mainlog so I know they are going through the mail server, and they do seem to show up in the eximstats databases, but why aren't they being logged by mailwatch? How can I change this behavior?

2. ElrondBCN

ElrondBCN Active Member

Let me make an example:

Say I have an email account, test@test.com, and additionally, I have setup a forwarder that sends a copy of messages addressed to test@test.com to test@yahoo.com. If someone sends a message to test@test.com, it appears there and on Yahoo successfully. In MailWatch, there is a record of the message being sent to test@test.com, but no record of a copy being forwarded to test@yahoo.com. So what exactly happens when the forwarder is triggered?

Also, does bandwidth consumed by forwarded mail get tracked by eximstats? It doesn't appear to as far as I can tell.