The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Login (cPanel, FTP, etc...) logs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by teleute, Apr 20, 2005.

1. teleute

teleute Member

Since I got such a wonderfully useful answer to my last question, I thought I'd try posting another thing that's been bothering me. Is there any way to track (some log file somewhere or something) who's been logging into the account? I'd love (although I think this might be pushing it...:) to track logins to cPanel, FTP (or SFTP), and any password protected files by logging the login name, user's IP address, date/time, and how they connected. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

(BTW, I'm a reseller with non-root SSH access)

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

In that case, no. You'd need root access to the server to be able to do that. Password protected directory accesses should sho up in your web stats, though.

3. teleute

teleute Member

What do resellers usually use to help secure their site using cPanel? I haven't really been able to do anything I've been trying to do, so I wonder if I'm going about it the wrong way. I've got various users who need access to various functions (within one domain), and I want them to do everything securely. However, as far as I can tell, I can only make one user who can do much of anything, so I have to give everyone everything (or nothing at all). Also, only one user seems to be able to login securely (for file transfers or what have you), and I can't figure out how to force them to go securely, and I can't log whether or not they are being secure. Are there options I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can only take such measures as the server administrator of the server. A reseller is simply another user than can create new users in cPanel. If you want that level of control an don't trust that your reseller provider is doing such work, you'll have to get a dedicated server.

5. Kaveyhosting

Kaveyhosting Well-Known Member

If you ask your admin who runs the server they should be able to help you set up whatever you need or give you copys of logs etc... if not do as the last post said and get a dedicated server or find a provider who is willing to do that stuff.

6. teleute

teleute Member

Right, but even with my own server, I couldn't create more than one user per domain in cPanel, right? I'd still have to give a user the main admin password to a domain to allow the to see stats, for example.

7. linuxserverguy

linuxserverguy Active Member

i am admin with root access to cpanel servr. so how to track logins to cpanel and ssh :)

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have a look in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/