The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Login misdirect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David McCormick, Jan 22, 2013.

1. David McCormick

David McCormick Registered

Jan 22, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have several sites on one server. I logged into one sites cpanel using http://site1/cpanel but used the username and password form a different sites. I was logged into cpanel but was not on the intended site. Is there a way to fix this.
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From your description, nothing is broken. A domain just resolves to an IP address. If all the domains resolve to the same IP address, you can log into cPanel as any account's user. You are logging in as a user, and that logs you into that account's cPanel. You are logging into cPanel, not a site, and nothing is really wrong.

You may see another domain in the browser address bar, but that does not mean you have somehow logged into that domain in any way. You logged into cPanel as a cPanel user, and what you see in cPanel is the cPanel for that user, not the domain in the address bar.

If this bothers you, you can change the following settings in Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings:

• Non-SSL redirect destination
    • SSL redirect destination

Change the settings for those options to Hostname, and the /whm, /cpanel and /webmail aliases will redirect to the server's hostname. However, this is strictly a preference, and there is nothing wrong. There is no security risk with logging into cPanel as one cPanel account user while the domain name associated with another cPanel account is in the browser's address bar. cPanel goes by the account username and password you use to log in, not the domain name displayed in the address bar.