The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logon questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pscully, Apr 13, 2013.

1. pscully

pscully Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm a new user to cPanel / WHM. I'm not familiar with all of this system administration and logon I've gone through the initial set-up. I have a couple of questions about items that confuse me, I am using WHM 11.36.0

I am using “root” to logon. The user name I created during setup does not work, just “root”. Once I logon I do not see file on the menu. I am using port “:2087”, port “2083” does not work for my “root” logon.

1) Is my logon wrong, is this the reason I do not have all the menu items?
    2) Where can I create a new user account?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The WebHost Manager is where you do things that affect the entire server. cPanel is where you do things that affect only a particular account or domain. You cannot log into cPanel (port 2083) as root. You must log into cPanel as a cPanel account user.

Create a new account in the WebHost Manager (port 2087) in Home » Account Functions » Create a New Account. Remember the username and password you use for the new account. Now, log into cPanel using that username and password.

You can also log into cPanel by clicking, in the WHM, Home » Account Information » List Accounts, and then clicking the cP icon next to the account. This is called using the root override. You cannot log into cPanel by typing "root" in the cPanel username box.

The following documentation should help you:

Create a New Account
    WHM Home Screen
    Accessing cPanel
    cPanel User Guide