The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logwatch / batch processes running during the day time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chilihost, Sep 12, 2005.

1. chilihost

chilihost Well-Known Member

Hi, I am running a few servers that were built in the USA and were originally set to USA time zone. As my servers are mainly for Australian surfers, I wanted to make sure overnight processing ran overnight for the Australian timezone. So I switched the timezones via cpanel.

But logwatch never seemed to switch times. In other words it is running at 6pm Aussie time which is 4am USA time. I am not sure if the other overnight processes are also running at that time, but I am seeing a slowdown of the server right at the time when it needs the most power.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Does anyone know what to look for? My crontabs still show the nightly processes are scheduled to run at 4am. DATE on the server indicates it is set to the proper Australian time too. I am running a few servers, most are on the STABLE version of CPanel while one is on the CURRENT version, but they all behave the same way.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you switch timezones like that you usually have to restart the cron daemon which doesn't handle large time shifts very well:

/etc/init.d/crond restart

It ought to then run your jobs at the expected time.

3. chilihost

chilihost Well-Known Member

thanks for the tip, I will give it a go and see what happens.