Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Logwatch messages - pam_loginuid(crond:session)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by espprojects, Jan 14, 2010.

1. espprojects

espprojects Registered

I am getting a large number of messages in my logwatch that say:
    crond[10232]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid.

I have Googled this message and found several references to editing the file /etc/pam.d/crond and commenting out the line #session required pam_loginuid.so

But I can't find any explanation of what this line actually does, so I don't want to blindly comment it out without knowing a bit more.

Can anyone tell me what it does and if it is a good idea to comment it out.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jhio

jhio Member

Same problem

Hi, same problem here.. The logs show a lot of lines with:
    ' crond[22230]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid
    ' . I don't know what this means...

Can anyone tell me what is this and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you running WHMSonic? It has a cron job that I've seen calling this module before. Basically, some cron job is calling the pam_loginuid.

Now, it is indeed a bug in some kernels due to compiling them without the correct CONFIG_AUDIT and CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL options set per this bug report:

0002191: pam_loginuid fails with message: set_loginuid failed opening loginuid - CentOS Bug Tracker

For how to fix it, you can either follow the suggestions in the bug report comments, or you can find the cron calling pam_loginuid and stop the cron from running, or you can recompile the kernel to have the correct options set (this one isn't the likely path you'd take if you have a custom kernel from a provider, but it is the only real way to fix it since pam_loginuid isn't working on your existing kernel anyway).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...