The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logwatch messages - pam_loginuid(crond:session)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by espprojects, Jan 14, 2010.

1. espprojects

espprojects Registered

I am getting a large number of messages in my logwatch that say:
    crond[10232]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid.

I have Googled this message and found several references to editing the file /etc/pam.d/crond and commenting out the line #session required pam_loginuid.so

But I can't find any explanation of what this line actually does, so I don't want to blindly comment it out without knowing a bit more.

Can anyone tell me what it does and if it is a good idea to comment it out.

Thanks.

2. jhio

jhio Member

Same problem

Hi, same problem here.. The logs show a lot of lines with:
    ' crond[22230]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid
    ' . I don't know what this means...

Can anyone tell me what is this and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you running WHMSonic? It has a cron job that I've seen calling this module before. Basically, some cron job is calling the pam_loginuid.

Now, it is indeed a bug in some kernels due to compiling them without the correct CONFIG_AUDIT and CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL options set per this bug report:

0002191: pam_loginuid fails with message: set_loginuid failed opening loginuid - CentOS Bug Tracker

For how to fix it, you can either follow the suggestions in the bug report comments, or you can find the cron calling pam_loginuid and stop the cron from running, or you can recompile the kernel to have the correct options set (this one isn't the likely path you'd take if you have a custom kernel from a provider, but it is the only real way to fix it since pam_loginuid isn't working on your existing kernel anyway).