The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logwatch stopped

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hergy80, Apr 27, 2006.

1. hergy80

hergy80 Well-Known Member

I have a CentOS 4.3 server and as of Sunday I stopped receiving logwatch emails.

After doing some searching, I've tried the suggestions I've found but nothing has worked. I've checked the cron status, and it was still there. I ran logwatch --print from the command line and nothing outputs. I've run the script in the cron.daily directory, and nothing. I do receive e-mails from the server, such as root logins, and general email. I'm now at a loss of what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check /var/log/cron to see if you're getting any error messages regarding logwatch not running properly. Check to make sure /etc/cron.daily/logwatch (or 00-logwatch, or whatever it may be named) has the correct permissions to run. Be sure it points to a valid script as well, I've had cases where an upgrade changed the location of the actual perl script for logwatch and it stopped working until I fixed the broken soft link. Hope one of these helps. :)

3. hergy80

There's nothing in the var/log/cron file. And it has the same permissions the rest of the scripts do, and I opened it in emacs and the file is there.. I just don't understand.

Sunday it was working then Monday they stopped coming, and I didn't make any changes to the server, unless one of the update scripts changed something that broke it?

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Is cron running properly?

Code:
    service crond status

5. hergy80

Yeah, I get the emails from upcp and other cron jobs, and the status returns:

Code:
    service crond status
    crond (pid 4727) is running...
    root@server3 [~]#

6. hergy80

I rebooted the box and logwatch worked again, for a day. Then it stopped sending again. Anyone have any possible ideas?

7. hergy80

So far, I've upgraded to version 7.3-1 and it is working again.

8. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Keep an eye on that /var/log/cron file, it should fill up as each job runs with who ran what and when. If it stays blank, something may be wrong. Look for .1, .2, etc on the end of cron as well if you have logrotate running. Could be the logs were just recently rotated and you saw a blank one as a result. Update the thread if it fails again.

9. hergy80

We have logrotate, so it was logging the cron, but it didn't say anything about logwatch, but the rest were being logged like normal in the .1, .2, etc files.

I didnt' realize cpanel doesn't update logwatch, so it was a few versions behind, and so far it seems to be working on the few tests I ran, but we'll see after a few days.

Thanks for everyone's help.