Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Looking for a Modsecurity Rule that Would Block the IP After a Certain Amount of 403 Errors

Discussion in 'Security' started by rodeoman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. rodeoman

rodeoman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe this is too redundant, but I am trying to figure out how to write a ModSecurity rule that would block the IP from the server for a period of time when that IP is generating a certain amount of 403 errors, and I am struggling with writing the rule. Does anyone have any ideas of what this rule would look like?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I actually wouldn't use ModSecurity for this unless I had to. The rule would have to make use of collections similar to the WP brute force rule, which is a bit overly complex for a simple problem.

It would be much easier to just set the variable LF_APACHE_403 in CSF. It works like any other brute force detection does in CSF. If you set these for csf in /etc/csf/csf.conf, you would block any IP with 10 or more 403's in a short time for an hour:

LF_APACHE_403 = "10"
    LF_APACHE_403_PERM = "3600"

Also if you're already using modsecurity, the LF_MODSEC setting will block IPs for repeat modsec hits anyway.