The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for advice on backup plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n2nis, Apr 21, 2006.

1. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    I have a new server being brought online. It has one drive and I have a remote backup service with the noc where the server is housed. I am using a private lan plan to connect to the backup service to save bandwidth. My question is should I bother using rsync since from what I am reading it is best used when you need to conserve bandwidth. Keeping in mind right no I am not to concerned with the backups leaving the noc to another off-site location. Should I just use the ftp backup built into whm or is it troublesome with corruptions like I read somewhere. Or is there a better plan out there somewhere... Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    If bandwidth and data transfer are of no concern, then probably the simplest method would be to mount the remote storage (if possible) either as an NFS or a SAMBA mount - depending on what is available to you. You can then do full cPanel backups to it.

If you have a non-quota enabled partition locally, then you could simply run a Full cPanel backup to that partition daily, and then FTP or rsyn the backup after it is completed over to your off-server storage.

I'm wary of the cPanel FTP backup option as it doesn't secure some of the files that can be invaluable if you need a full server restore, as opposed to simple account restores which will be fine.