The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost connection during setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by assassin85, Oct 13, 2009.

1. assassin85

assassin85 Active Member

hello

i want to know someting , i am installing new cpanel on centos OS via ssh

when i am watching the installation i got disconnected, and i login again , i saw with the top command the processor working in the background

is this ok ? or i should reinstall the cpanel again?

thanks

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If you experience a disconnection from SSH again it should be OK to allow the install to continue running in the background, and it should not be necessary to re-install, but it should also not break anything if you do re-install just as a precaution.

For reference, you may also check the cPanel install logs for activity; they are located at the following paths:
    /var/log/cpanel-install-thread0.log
    /var/log/cpanel-install-thread1.log

For future installs, you may want to try running the install within a screen session, so that you can safely "attach" and "detach" or later reattach the screen without worrying if SSH connectivity might fail.

For CentOS and RHEL, if your package manager is YUM the following command can be used to install screen (before initiating the cPanel installer):
    Code:
    # yum install screen
    For CentOS and RHEL, if your package manager is up2date, then the following command could be used to install screen:
    Code:
    # up2date -i screen
    Likewise, for FreeBSD, the following two commands will install screen:
    Code:
    # cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen
    # make install clean
    Once screen is installed, you can initiate a screen using the following command:
    Code:
    # screen
    To detach from a screen, use the following keyboard combination.
    Ctrl+a, then press d

To list existing screens and their numeric IDs, enter the following command:
    Code:
    # screen -ls
    To attach to a screen, use one of the following commands (where "123" is the numeric ID of the screen to reattach to):
    Code:
    # screen -r
    # screen -r 123
    I recommend referring to the screen manual "man" page for more documentation on what is possible with screen and how to use it:
    Code:
    # man screen