The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wrench, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Wrench

Wrench Member

Being new to both Linux and Cpanel I am need of a little help. The problem is when I log in as root via ssh I cannot see or access many folders including home, etc and probably others. When I try to cd home or etc I get "No such file or directory". All was well and everything seemed to work fine. The only things I really did wes edit my proftpd.conf file, restarted proftpd, and played around with the su command. The next time I loged in I could not see these folders. Hopefully someone can help shed some lite on this dark moment. :rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Wrench

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

login as another user and try su root. Also don't forget the / for the directory. ie shell# cd /home

3. Wrench

Wrench Member

Thanks for your help. After a little sleep I got it under control. :)
    I was using cd home/ instead of cd /home
    One other quick question is when I log in as root I log into root@host [~], if I cd / I get to root@host [/]. What is ~ ? I dont understand where in the directory this is?

Thanks again.

4. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

I believe, but am not totally sure, that they're different shells. Commands should be the same and you shouldn't notice a difference. Do you have users jailed to their directory? If so and your logging is as a standard user, not root, I believe this is normal.

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The ~ denotes your home directory....

For example type cd by itself will put you back to your home directory, type cd ~ does the exact same.

If your new to linux we have some good starting references on commands on our forum (see sig) to help you get familiar with these types of things.