The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in setting up SPF : registrar, dns and server configuration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by trucmuche, Mar 2, 2015.

1. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello !

I'm lost in the configuration of SPF for avoiding the emails I sent to be considered as spam. I need help to understand what I should do...

1) I use the registrar gandi.net for my domain (let say "mydomain.com"). The DNS used for mydomain.com are dnsmadeeasy ones. Should I configure something inside Gandi for SPF ? If so, what should I do ?

2) Should I configure something in the DNSMadeEasy interface ?

3) In Cpanel, I got for DKIM and SPF the message : "Warning: cPanel is unable to verify that this server is an authoritative nameserver for “mydomain.com”.". I thing this is normal but I don't know what to do to setup this correctly, and the websites I found did not helped me a lot...

Could you please help me ?

Best regards,

Trucmuche

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Since the DNS for your domain name is handled by DNSMadeEasy, then you should add the SPF record there. Any DNS records you add on the cPanel server are not utilized unless you switch to name servers associated with your cPanel server. The default SPF record on a cPanel server is:

Code:
    domain.com. 14400 IN TXT "v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:SHAREDIPHERE ~all"
    Thank you.

3. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your reply. But I'm thinking about closing my dnsmadeeasy account because I'm not sure about its benefits for me (small websites, only one server, non critical datas, and even using dnsmadeeasy my websites are offilne when my VPS is down, of course...). So if I use the DNS server inside my VPS to configure gandi, I should add the SPF record to the configuration of my domain inside gandi administration tool. Is that right ?

(really sorry for the newbie questions... I learn...)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, if you use name servers associated with the cPanel server, then you simply enable the SPF record via the "Email Authentication" option in cPanel and it automatically adds the zone entries. Otherwise, if the DNS is handled by your registrar, you can manually add that TXT record via your registrar's administrative interface.

Thank you.