The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost password protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latpanel, Feb 14, 2006.

1. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

Some days ago I changed my root password in whm and, due to a unknown error, from since I could not enter in my server via SSHD nor WHM (It was like the password I choose didn't function).
    I needed a root password reset in my data center.

Now I'm thinking about a way to rescue root access if root password is lost. It would be a script that reset password to a well known pass. Perhaps a cron owned by root that reset password on a signal of a wheel user.

Does anybody know about a solution to this situation?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Write it down next time?

3. latpanel

latpanel Well-Known Member

This is not the solution, perhaps I did not explain the problem transparently enough.
    The problem is not to forgot the password.
    An example: some days ago I changed my root password in WHM, but the following day the system didn't recognize my password (I wrote it down in my password book).
    The only solution was: stop the server, boot in single user mode, set a new password and restart the server, if I do it it takes me a couple o minutes, but if I have to get my data center to do it, it takes one day at least.
    So I think it would be a good idea a way to reset password without the need of a manual reset by data center technician. Of course a very secure way.

Any idea?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's a multitude of ways you could do something like that. All of them would require you to script something and all have potential security implications. I wouldn't personally use the option in WHM to chnage the root password. Do it from shell and stay logged in, then SSH in again and type out the new password (i.e. don't cust & paste) to make sure you got it right.

One simple way to avoid the problem alltogether is to setup key authentication with your SSH client and server to login to root. Then you can still SSH in even if you forget your root password (this is what I do on all my servers).