Lowest numbered MX record points to local host

Heritz

Aug 12, 2006
Hello all,

I have a dedicated server with WHM 11.2.0 and CentOS 4.5. Lately, all the emails cannot be delivered because of the following error in the exim_rejectlog:

lowest numbered MX record points to local host

For instance:

2007-11-25 04:34:26 H=s3.computrabajo.co.uk [69.59.28.133] F=<[email protected]> temporarily rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: lowest numbered MX record points to local host

Do you guys have any idea about why could be this happening? This happens for all the domains. Every time I restart the DNS service (BIND) the email starts to work perfectly, but after a few days, it starts to bounce everything.

Thanks for your help folks! ;)

rbalaji

Nov 27, 2007
hi,

login to WHM and go to Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit MX Entry

set MX priority to 0 for the related domain and save.

This will fix the mail issue.

Heritz

Aug 12, 2006
Thanks rbalaji.

Actually all the domains in the server have priority 0 for the MX record. But the problem still happens from time to time. Everytime it happens, I just restart the DNS server and the mail starts to work again.

Any ideas?...

Heritz

Aug 12, 2006
Hi all,

Just for reference, in case someone else has the same issue:

For some reason, when I create the accounts in my WHM 11.15.0, the file /etc/localdomains is not getting updated. That file is important for some reason for the mail delivery if the MX entry of the domain is pointing to localhost.

So, the solution if you get this error: just go to your WHM, then "Edit DNS Zone", select the domain you want to fix, click "Edit" and then in "Save". That's all. Clicking "Save", will automatically put the entry in the localdomains. Obviously this will fix the error.

I hope it helps, I had a really bad time trying to figure this thing out!

andren

Oct 4, 2005
Hi all,

Just for reference, in case someone else has the same issue:

For some reason, when I create the accounts in my WHM 11.15.0, the file /etc/localdomains is not getting updated. That file is important for some reason for the mail delivery if the MX entry of the domain is pointing to localhost.

So, the solution if you get this error: just go to your WHM, then "Edit DNS Zone", select the domain you want to fix, click "Edit" and then in "Save". That's all. Clicking "Save", will automatically put the entry in the localdomains. Obviously this will fix the error.

Thank you, that fixes it.
One would think cpanel would be able to fix it...

karlos

Oct 1, 2003
Thanks!! it works!!

In my case WHM writes the subdomains of the account but not the main domain :confused:

seahorse

Jul 3, 2003

even though i upgraded to the latest release version...
i have this problem too.... not able to receive emails.

the above solution, edit dns, then save without doing anything.. works.

Apoc

Mar 4, 2003
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We had this problem today too on one server of a client. What I don't understand is that cPanel doesn't have some kind of script to simply check all the domains on the server (based on cPanel's configuration) and then checks with the localdomains file to see whether it's consistent.

Should be very easy to implement and to be honest I don't understand why it doesn't already have this by default if cPanel relies on the localdomains file for mail and such.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We had this problem today too on one server of a client. What I don't understand is that cPanel doesn't have some kind of script to simply check all the domains on the server (based on cPanel's configuration) and then checks with the localdomains file to see whether it's consistent.

Should be very easy to implement and to be honest I don't understand why it doesn't already have this by default if cPanel relies on the localdomains file for mail and such.
You mean like this:

/scripts/checkalldomainsmxs

?

neiderlaander

Registered
Jul 1, 2008
Lansing, MI
mx record priority 0 issues

Hello all, noob here, go easy on me :) I recently ran in to a problem with the priority record of 0 being used for an offsite MX server, and when using a priority of 0 while pointing to a non-local host the mail wouldn't work. When setting the priority to 1, the off-site mail flowed normally. I was wondering if the 0 priority ALWAYS points to localhost only? thanks....

jiju

Registered
Dec 20, 2007
MX-priority

Hello,

When you set up MX entries at the DNS, you must be aware that the lowest number has the highest priority. So if the " 0 " is pointed with the domain name itself, it uses the localhost ie the same server on which that domain is hosted. To set a domain to use an external mailbox, MX entry for the same at the DNS should be pointed with " 0 " so that it will get the highest priority. ::)