The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LTS for 11.30 will end soon (Jan 13, 2013) , concerns before update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nospa, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nospa

nospa Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

AFAIK LTS for 11.30 will end on Jan 13,2013 so in next 2 weeks. We are using this version on our servers, right now it is time to upgrade.

We use 11.30 LTS mostly because:
    - we have custom build cPanel skin for our users, which is build using API 1
    - we have cusom settings of Exim ACLs, designed to catch and eliminate SPAM / phishing emails
    - we use Mysql 5.0 for our users

I have many questions but most important are:

1) what version choose to upgrade now - 11.32 or 11.34?
    2) what could break during upgrade from 11.30 to 11.32 / 11.34?

I would like to hear opinions from users who perfomed such upgrades (from 11.30 to 11.32 / 11.34), as well - also opinions from cPanel Dev / Support team.

I hope 2013 will start happy for us :)
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We always recommend customers run the latest version of cPanel & WHM. The LTS releases only receive critical fixes (normally security fixes). This means there are a number of non-critical bug fixes that are only available on the latest production version.

A recommended procedure for upgrading is to upgrade a single server. Use that server as your exploration and test bed. From that single upgrade you should be able to determine what changes are needed prior to (or immediately after) upgrading the other servers. Also, when you do upgrade the rest, perform the upgrades in small groups.

Prior to upgrading I highly recommend you review the release notes for 11.32 (cPanel & WHM 11.32 Release Notes) and 11.34 (cPanel & WHM 11.34 Release Notes). Those will give you good indications of how changes in those versions will impact your servers.

Since you mention customizations to Exim configuration, you should also backup your exim configuration (something like 'tar czvf exim_conf_backup.tar.gz /etc/exim*') prior to performing the upgrade. The way the Exim configuration is generated in 11.32+ differs greatly from older versions.