The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lynis (Unix audit tool) and cPanel support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mboelen, Jun 22, 2008.

1. mboelen

mboelen Registered

Hello,

I'm the original author of Rootkit Hunter and decided to create a new tool, named Lynis. Since I like to get my tool more popular by a wide user base, I like to make it compatible with tools like cPanel's. However, I could use some input, to improve things both ways.

Lynis is an auditing tool for Unix (Linux, BSD and other). It scans the system and available software to detect security issues, bad/insecure configuration options and unsafe file(s) permissions. It tries to assist administrators in using and maintaining best practices, but also in the common things which get forgotten (like expired SSL certificates).

Though Lynis has been available for some months now, and many
    updates/suggestions have been implemented, it still can use a broader user base. What I like to know is how you audit your systems, your (cPanel) software and what tools you use beside the ones default included.

In case you like to try the software (GPL, free to use), the software can be found at http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/lynis.html

Hope people don't see this message as spam, since I like to make software tools working better together, instead of just "selling" something ;)

Michael