The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lynx -t ? Running on server taking up load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noimad1, Sep 26, 2006.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

I have a user that has a process running with a lynx -t command. It says it is being run by perl.

However, it is taking up all of the server load. Anyone know what this is or how to kill it?

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

kill -9 PID
    PID is the process number. Or you can do that through the WHM >> System Health >> Show Current CPU Usage
    Click on the Pid and kill it. I would also recommend stopping this client, or any clients for security purposes, from using lynx by changing lynx permission.

3. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

lynx is an SSH based browser. They may want to access a Perl script hosted on their account using lynx so that it looks to the perl script as if it had been accessed by a usual visitor using a browser. In most cases they could just use perl in the command line which would save resources but for some reason many just don't do it. I guess that is because the publishers of the software they use tell them to do it that way just i case the cron program is not running on the same server etc.

Is this person hosting one of those RPG games ? These games are driving me crazy. I have like 50 of these guys on one of my server and each minute 50 lynx cron jobs go off just for some 14 year old gamers :(

4. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyones response. I kept killing the process, but it kept comming back. I dug further into the users account and it turns out they had a hacked version of 4images gallery. The hacker had upload a script that was causing the issues....

Thanks,
    Damion