Mac Book is email locked to a MAC address or hardware address etc

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We just had a main board replaced in a mac book.

When we got it back, none of the email accounts could authenticate, so it was getting blacklisted in CSF.
Considering the mainboard was replaced but the HDD is still the original, I can't figure out why it would fail to authenticate.

I removed the accounts from the mac book and recreated (using the same credentials), and all the emails from the last few weeks started coming through.

I can only assume that apple have done something clever, where the email passwords are somehow encrypted using a hardware or mac address.

Any thoughts ?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I can only assume that apple have done something clever, where the email passwords are somehow encrypted using a hardware or mac address.
I can't say for 100% that this is what they do but I do remember reading something like this. It'd be better to talk to apple about that though

Another thing though is that the apple techs should have let you know if that as going to be an issue or if something didn't function as it did prior when they gave it back to you.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It could only really be this theory, as everything else was as expected, users documents, shortcuts, internet history etc were all in tact.
But all 3 email accounts were failing to authenticate.

The main board was replaced in Thailand where there are no Apple service centres.
Performed by a 3rd party repairer.
Maybe they are unaware.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Keep in mind too that 3rd party unless certified by apple aren't held to any requirements either as far as I know. But I'm still fairly certain about my assumption, just wish I could find where I was reading that.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
My colleague tells me this morning that none of his passwords were working.
Not just related to emails, but web sites etc, so i guess it's looking more likely to be some form of encryption.

Maybe to protect against a stolen HDD ?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I found this.

The Keychain has a new chain called Local items. The local items are stored in an sqlite database in a folder corresponding to the hardware UUID of the mainboard. Additionally it appears to be encrypted is a way that involves details from the mainboard (probably the UUID).

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I found this.

The Keychain has a new chain called Local items. The local items are stored in an sqlite database in a folder corresponding to the hardware UUID of the mainboard. Additionally it appears to be encrypted is a way that involves details from the mainboard (probably the UUID).

I knew I read it somewhere :)