The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Account Aliases

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sparek-3, Oct 23, 2009.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to create mail account aliases with cPanel?

I am wanting to create a single mail account and then have several different other e-mail logins point to that same account.

For example, I might have a mail account, system, such that messages are sent to the Then I would have alias accounts,,,, etc all with their own different passwords, when they log in they see the messages in the account.

Why have different aliases? Mainly for security, if Dave's computer becomes compromised, it is simple to change the password for Joe and Pat would not have to deal with a password change.

The accounts would be accessed via IMAP, accessing with POP3 would cause issues.

I thought that this could be accomplished by manually modifying the /home/example/etc/ to use a different path for the dave, joe, and pat users but this does not appear to be the case.

A temporary solution I found was to create the dave, joe, and pat accounts. Then delete the corresponding mail directory and create a symlink to the system mail account:

cd /home/example/mail/
    rm -rf dave
    ln -s system dave
    But I am not sure if this will hold.