The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Account Aliases

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sparek-3, Oct 23, 2009.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to create mail account aliases with cPanel?

I am wanting to create a single mail account and then have several different other e-mail logins point to that same account.

For example, I might have a mail account, system, such that messages are sent to the system@example.com. Then I would have alias accounts, dave@example.com, joe@example.com, pat@example.com, etc all with their own different passwords, when they log in they see the messages in the system@example.com account.

Why have different aliases? Mainly for security, if Dave's computer becomes compromised, it is simple to change the password for dave@example.com. Joe and Pat would not have to deal with a password change.

The accounts would be accessed via IMAP, accessing with POP3 would cause issues.

I thought that this could be accomplished by manually modifying the /home/example/etc/example.com/passwd to use a different path for the dave, joe, and pat users but this does not appear to be the case.

A temporary solution I found was to create the dave, joe, and pat accounts. Then delete the corresponding mail directory and create a symlink to the system mail account:

Code:
    cd /home/example/mail/example.com
    rm -rf dave
    ln -s system dave
    But I am not sure if this will hold.