The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail autentication on addon domains does not work.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Maximiliam, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Maximiliam

Maximiliam Well-Known Member

mail autentication on addon domains does not work.

Users that have authentication ticked on, cannot send and recive email.

Whats going on?

It just happened today.

2. cjg

cjg Member

As a follow up to this,

If you have authentication checked for sending email it will reject the password every time. We are running the latest build of cpanel, just upgraded from build 37 to 60 to check if that would correct things, but it has not. Have created a test account on the problem add-on domain, and it will reject the password. Now the serious concearn comes, as when you remove the tick from authenication required to send mail, it will happily send off the email and it is received at the other end. No anti-relaying message. This is serious and needs to be fixed urgently. I have tested this by sending an email to a newly created hotmail account from the affected add-on domain.

3. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

I am having this problem on all of my domains. I am running the latest stable release. I am able to send mail using mu hotmail but sending through my smtp. This means that my server is open to relaying which I don't think is a good idea.

I did not change any conf's or anything. It was client that told me he was able to send mail without authenticating himself.

mooony-

4. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

You may want to try different symbols instead of the + in the username for authentication:
    username@domain.com
    username+domain.com
    username%domain.com

5. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

thaphantom is correct: that behavior is not necessarily indicative of an open relay. Check your /etc/relayhosts and you'll find why you're able to relay mail without authentication for multiple accounts. Entries will die off from that file automatically after a period of time in which no authentication is performed, and then you will not be able to send mail without authenticating first.

6. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. Now I understand how it works.

mooony-