The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Being sent from an unused IP?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jonmar, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jonmar

jonmar Member

I know the answer is obvious, but what I need to know is to to approach the problem and find the culprit.

Spam Cop has 2 of my IPs listed as spamming.

One is not being used for any sites at all. The other, has one of my sites on it, that only sends a mail to a client. A registered client.

Absolutely no other mail is sent from this IP. There's no other website associated with. There are no sites associated with the other at all. I know I already said that, but wanted to emphasize that.

Now, my question is this.....

Is it possible for someone to "capture" and use an IP so to speak, with no other account having any access to it? Where would one even begin to look for a culprit?

I had a problem with a client the other day, and found he was using a perl script that was working as a mail server somehow, but he's since been booted and the account deleted, so the script is no longer there. I don't allow shell access other than jailshell for rvadmin. All other shells are disabled, except of course for root. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or ideas.

Thanks