The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail but no dns

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bjarte, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bjarte

bjarte Member

Hi

I am hosting mail for a domain, but the domain is hosted on another mailserver. I understand that I need the zone file for the domain to make the account work, but should my zone file be a copy of the original zone file on the other server?

Are there any way to make it look up the dns info on the other server so I dont have to manage any zone file?

- Bjarte

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Just change the the MX to point to your server at the main DNS. You needn't have the zone file on your server.

3. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

If the domain is hosted on one server and you are handling the mail for the domain on another server then as aby said :
    also the domain must be removed from the /etc/localdomains and added to the /etc/remotedomains on the server where the domain is hosted.

4. bjarte

bjarte Member

I tried to remove the dns zone from an account and after that I could not find the account.
    So to me it looks like cpanel is dependent on the zone file to get the email to work.

-Bjarte

5. WebScHoLaR

Did you removed the DNS zone file from the server where the mail is handled only or from the server where the domain is hosted?

You don't need the DNS zone file on the server where ONLY the mail is being handled BUT you must have the DNS zone file on the server where the domain is hosted if the same server is running BIND too.

6. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You will just have to make the change in the zone file for MX records on the server where the site is hosted.

7. WebScHoLaR

and have to remove the domain from the /etc/localdomains and added to the /etc/remotedomains on the server where the domain is hosted.