SOLVED Mail clients won't connect.

morriscey

Apr 7, 2017
PEI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello all,

Having a configuration issue and hoping someone more knowlegeable can point me in the right direction. Domain in question is furnaceman.ab.ca

I had a purchased SSL for it over a years ago - it expired and I decided to use a cloudflare free SSL instead.

I had cloudflare handling the DNS but I had lost access to that particular account.

Started a new cloudflare account and it said it couldnt verify the records, so I use the standards I know work with a new account.

Install the SSL cert fine (first uninstalling the previous cert). Site is up, I can use the webmail to send and receive emails to accounts on the domain (which is usually my go to). Got a call saying email clients for that domain are no longer working.

Mail clients will no longer connect. No programs will see the server settings.

Thunderbird refuses to connect. When I enter in the manual settings (for either SSL or non SSL) I get the message "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account"

Windows 10 mail accepts manual settings but then doesn't do anything.

outlook tried to use dc-b91a48e09a24.domain.ca for a mail server. said it refuesd to connect to the pop server. Same issue with mail.domain.ab.ca

Wasn't able to find any similar enough topics to guide me. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Is the mail.domain.tld.ca subdomain covered by Cloudflare? Technically the MX record for the domain in this instance should be greyed out in the Cloudflare UI or the mail client won't be able to find it. From what I saw before I removed the actual domain name it is being obfuscated by Cloudflare.

morriscey

Apr 7, 2017
PEI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes it was being covered. I've disabled it. TB still can't connect but it looks like outlook will. The office is done for the day so I'll call them in the morning to test and update this thread with the result. Thanks again.

Reactions: cPanelLauren