The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail delivery failed : Hotmail.com

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aerisnet.ca, Apr 3, 2004.

1. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

Hi, one of my customer use a gallery albums script, sharing pictures.. etc... When someone want to register, the gallery send an email to the new user to confirm his registration, etc...

The gallery use the customer email "info@450studios.com" to send the mail. But all people registering with a "hotmail.com" email didn't receive any confirmation email... The mail are returned to "info@450studios.com" with the following error message :

Anyone know how to fix this crap ??

- WHM 9.1.0 cPanel 9.1.0-S93
    - RedHat Enterprise 3 - WHM X v2.1.2
    - Exim 4

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Make sure you don't have zone records in /var/named for hotmail.com, also make sure it's not listed in /etc/localdomains

3. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

I dont have "hotmail.com" in zone records in /var/named
    and the domain is not listed in /etc/localdomains.

:(

4. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

Im still having the problem, can someone tell me what's wrong with hotmail.com ???

Thank !

5. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

Please.... My server cant send email to popular mail servers (xxx.yahoo.com, xxx.hotmail.com) !!!

And i see that im not the only one with this problem, can someone tell US what wrong ?! :confused:

6. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

SHIT !... now its "videotron.ca" "hotmail.com" and "yahoo" ... maybe another one ?!

7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Maybe (and I'm stabbing in the dark),

Try this..

1. Do a whois lookup on the domains that can't send email to those "popular" addresses at your Canadian registrar. I bet you'll see results.

2. Now, do a whois lookup at www.nsi.com (yes, the evil verisign/network solutions). I bet you'll get a big fat "Not Found!"

Guess what, I bet yahoo, hotmail, etc.. rely on an nsi whois to determine validity of a domain?

While I am not "up" on rules & regs for .ca domains, perhaps you can call your registrar and have them tweak/broadcast the domains and host records concerned.

I used to use NSI as the registrar for nearly all domains I hosted. I switched to another registrar and NSI just assigned the evil lame-delegation.org to all nameserver records. I contacted my registrar and they were able to set things straight with NSI for me.

Maybe this will help?

8. spiff06

spiff06 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Well I'm also having issues with this, and this seemed like an interesting lead. At least for me, that doesn't explain the problem, though.

It appears some sites are not letting my server telnet into port 25, causing the same kind of rejection of authentication emails described in the original post of this thread.

Our current lead is that of a Firewall issue on that particular site, blocking requests from ours. I'm able to telnet 25 into the MX from dial-up, but can't do it on a session window on my site.

The quest goes on...

If someone has an authoritative answer to this, feel free to holler.

Eric

9. bamasbest

Jeepers,

If I really knew the definative answer to this question, I would be living in the Mansion as opposed to Nick :p

10. spiff06

Do you suppose it could be a local RBL issue of sorts, such as the one described here?

Just thinking aloud.
    Eric

11. bamasbest

No RBL's, IMO, as none of the IPs are listed in their database.

12. spiff06

Ok, I think I'm getting to the bottom of this. The server having trouble to send to some servers lacks a PTR record for reverse DNS.

Now, if I look at http://dnsstuff.com/info/revdns.htm, there's a sentence that says: "Mail servers with no reverse DNS will have a hard time getting mail to certain large ISPs."

Now there's a good lead...

Eric

13. aerisnet.ca

aerisnet.ca Member

FIXED !!!

I have only unchecked the following option in WHM under
    Server Setup -> Tweak Settings

:D

14. spiff06

Glad the problem was this easy to solve for you.

Obviously, since this option was checked on your system, it effectively prevented php scripts from sending any mail message.

My problem is different: while most emails get through to external servers, some others aren't able to reach their destination. This happens consistently with large servers implementing a double-check on incoming email. It could be a firewall issue in some instances, but my hottest lead is faulty RevDNS; I'll let you know as soon as support finally finds some time to respond to the ticket I submitted...

Eric