Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by DiRoAce, Dec 5, 2018.

1. DiRoAce

DiRoAce Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So, I have read all threads about this error, and checked on as much as I could for troubleshooting (not too tech savvy), and I keep receiving the same error whenever I send a test email.

The email account is set up to forward all incoming emails onto a gsuite account. I noticed one of these emails was not forwarded, and when tried to forward it manually, I received the error:
    Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

{email@domain.com)
    all hosts for 'domain.com' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached)

So I checked and SPF was disabled, while DKIM was enabled. I tried to send the email again, and received the same response.

I noticed there is an IP Block for [removed] which does not correspond to the server IP, but after removing it and refreshing, the IP address was there again. This IP also shows on the SPF record, but I am not sure of what this is.

This is the record for the failed deliveries, from the Track Delivery option:
    Event: failure
    User: [USER]
    Domain: [DOMAIN]
    From Address: EMAIL@DOMAIN.COM
    Sender: EMAIL@DOMAIN.COM
    Sent Time: Dec 5, 2018, 11:50:11 AM
    Sender Host: instance-2
    Sender IP: ::1
    Authentication: dovecot_login
    Spam Score:
    Recipient: EMAIL2@DOMAIN.COM
    Delivery User: -system-
    Delivery Domain:
    Delivered To:
    Router: send_via_sendgrid
    Transport: sendgrid_smtp
    Out Time: Dec 5, 2018, 11:50:11 AM
    ID: 1gUbJC-0001KZ-Rc
    Delivery Host:
    Delivery IP:
    Size: 618 bytes
    Result: all hosts for 'gmail.com' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached)

Thanks for your help!

#1 DiRoAce, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @DiRoAce

The IP you're referencing seems to be related to the sendgrid smarthost you have set up. As for why it's not making it to gmail this doesn't really give me information on that.

Can you confirm that you have SPF, DKIM and a valid PTR enabled on the domain/IP?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DiRoAce

DiRoAce Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi @cPanelLauren

I have continued checking, but still having issues on outgoing emails, and this is for all email accounts in the domain.

DKIM shows Enabled Active (DNS Check Passed)
    SPF shows Enabled (DNS Check Passed) Active (DNS Check Passed)
    (On the advanced settings "Additional IP Address blocks for your domains (IPv4 or IPv6)" shows my domain's IP address. I cannot remove this since upon deleting and updating, the address is there again.)
    I checked on Dig Web Interface, and the record shows a reverse DNS and a PTR: [BW IP].in-addr.arpa. 119 IN PTR [BW IP].bc.googleusercontent.com.

So, as far as I can see, everything is set up correctly. This started happening very recently, so I am trying to understand why it has stopped working.
    Help, please.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @DiRoAce

Is " [BW IP].bc.googleusercontent.com." the hostname of your server? Meaning a couple of things:

1. When you go to WHM>>Networking Setup >>Change Hostname do you see this as the hostname present under Current Hostname.

2. If #1 is the hostname of the server does the hostname resolve? If you run the following command do you get the IP address of your server in response?

Code:
    dig a  [BW IP].bc.googleusercontent.com.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DiRoAce

DiRoAce Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have not been able to log on to WHM, whenever I try to use my cPanelID to log in, the following comes up
    This site can’t be reached
    instance-2.c.enduring-honor-146101.internal’s server IP address could not be found.
    • Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

And if I enter the credentials I use for cPanel, it says the login is invalid. As far as I understand, these 2 should have the same user and password, correct?

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @DiRoAce

If you use the IP address to reach your WHM login you should be able to access that way if you're unsure what the hostname is.

Code:
    https://<IPADDRESS>:2087