The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail dissapearing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bking, Apr 5, 2004.

1. bking

bking Well-Known Member

Hi all,

This is not a pressing issue, as much as an annoying one.
    I recently changed from a plain server to one using cPanel/WHM

In transferring all of the accounts accross it has gone through seamless. It had to be done manually due to the old server being a non cpanel server.

Transferring the mail I had to create the new account on the new cpanel machine, create the folders, and then a perl script took care of transferring the actual mail...

the problem I have seen seems to be mail (IMAP/webmail) and seem to be sporadic..not all users/domains are affected.

Here are the steps.

Create new domain.
    transfer everything accross...mail/web/dbs etc..

Now the end users log into their mail account and all mail and folders are there.

Next day or even two days later, customer complains because the folders have *dissapeared*

I check on the filesystem and note that the folders stated to have vanished are in the /home/username/mail/username directory, but they are NOT in /home/username/mail/domain.name.com/username directory.

So I copy the folders within mail/username over to mail/domain.name.com/username directory, change permissions and voila! the customer now has access to their mail folders.

Given that its not all users, or all domains affected by this, its not hard to fix.

But, does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I cannot replicate it myself, and it is different users/domains experiencing this, so that rules out one dumb user...

I have read that cPanel used to store mail in ~/mail/username but then went to ~mail/domain.name.com/username and it is fully backwards compatible, so in theory should mail be in both directories? Any ideas why they dissapear from one?

Any thoughts / comments appreciated. :)