The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mail.domain.com imap and smtp settings

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MoreK, Feb 15, 2016.

1. MoreK

MoreK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is the preferred way to create mail.domain.com for all cPanel accounts, so they can easily setup Thunderbird, Outlook and other mail clients?

Some background: I have setup WHM/cPanel server and we have maybe 20 clients so far. I have a SSL certificate for the server hostname and it's istalled for imap and smtp services. Everything works great, users can configure mail servers using hostname.

However I would like to offer a proper mail subdomain for imap client setup. I created a new account and domain (let's call it "newdomain.com") for that purpose and installed certificate for the newdomain.com and mail.newdomain.com. I enabled SNI for newdomain and was hoping that it would bind to mail.newdomain.com, but that was not the case. However using newdomain.com as a mail server in client side seem to work, so I'm close.

Naturally I could create a new account for mail.newdomain.com, enable SNI and install the certificate for it. That should work, I assume. However, I was wondering if there is a better way to do it, somehow enable SNI for subdomain mail.newdomain.com.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Mail SNI configures the mail services to use the SSL certificate for your domain instead of the server's default certificate. You can verify if it's enabled by following the instructions in this document:

Manage SSL Hosts - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. MoreK

MoreK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The certificate is enabled, that is not a problem. I'm using a multi-domain cert, which has mail.newdomain.com subdomain included.

However, I resolved this now by:
    a) Creating a new subdomain mail.newdomain.com
    b) Installing the existing certificate separately in SSL/TLS->Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain and enabling SNI for it.

All seem to work. I can configure email client IMAP/SMTP with mail.newdomain.com server/certificate, even if email address is in different domain. Exactly what I wanted.