The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail errors since upgrade....Need help...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by chidera, Jul 27, 2003.

1. chidera

chidera Member

Hello,

Since I've upgraded, I keep getting an error when I send and receive email from Outlook. For only ONE mailbox account, I get the following error:
    Task 'Travis - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC97) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC97'

When I look up that particular error from Google, I get a million sites that list this information:
    POP3_POPID_OUT_OF_RANGE Message ID out of range.

So....It seems like a message ID is out of range. But that's ALL I can find anywhere. I don't know if it's an Outlook issue that just seemed to coincidentally raise its ugly head around the same time I upgraded, or if it's an Exim error/setting that's out of whack, or what.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

What did you upgrade? Exim or cpanel? If it was cPanel, I'd recommend upgrading to Edge.

3. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

4. chidera

chidera Member

When you go into WHM, it says you should upgrade your version of CPanel, which includes, I believe, upgrades to many of the services on the machine. I didn't make a list of the various things that were there to upgrade, so I apologize for not having that information.

Anyway, CPanel was upgraded for sure. I am PRETTY sure that Exim was upgraded from 3.xxx to 4.xxx.

As for as the link to the other thread. It certainly appears as though that has a good explanation of what's going on and how I can fix it. I'll try it out when I get a few more minutes and then report here to let you guys know whether or not the problem has been resolved.

Thanks.

5. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

According to a ticket response I received, this is caused by users using both IMAP and POP3, and basically this message which is "out of range" is a imap placeholder.

This sounds decent, however doesn't confirm why we just started receiving this error.

6. chidera

chidera Member

Well, that description does sound like it makes sense. The only problem is that I've ONLY ever used either webmail access using Horde or Outlook, which uses POP3. Now, if Horde uses IMAP, then that would make sense. But, it wouldn't explain why it works MOST of the time this way. I access ALL of my accounts both through Horde and using Outlook (POP3).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I tried all of the items that were mentioned in that link from a previous poster in this thread. The only thing that seemed to work was for me to delete my account and then recreate it.

That's it.

7. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Webmail applications do use IMAP.

8. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Our user has been getting the following error from outlook when connecting to a pop account without incident for over 6 months. Now all of a sudden they are getting this;

Task 'mail.xxxxx.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC97) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC97'

According to the list of error code by MS this indicates, 0x800CCC97 POP3_POPID_OUT_OF_RANGE Message ID out of range.

They are popping our server and only one account out of 5 gets this error. No other accounts get the error. They have also deleted the account from their control panel and recreated it including Outlook and they are still getting this msg.

Anyone have a clue?

9. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We had the same problem we followed what I put in the post above and it fixed our problem.

10. chidera

chidera Member

snickn said, Webmail applications do use IMAP.

You know....I was wondering about that. I thought it might be true, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Whatever the case, I had problems similar to others. Things are working great for a long time and then suddenly go awry. And only one account....None of the others appear to be affected.

Very strange....!

Thanks again.

11. chidera

chidera Member

Would it be better to configure Outlook to access the mail using the IMAP server, then? Perhaps if POP3 was completely out of the picture.....

Any thoughts?

12. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Check at the beginning of the pop3 file itself for that one account. May have malformed parts at beginning? just a suggestion...

Brenden

13. chidera

chidera Member

What would I be looking for? Is there a spec somewhere that says how the file should look?

BTW, are you referring to the inbox.pop file?

14. chidera

chidera Member

Well, now this problem seems to have found its way back again. Except this time it's for the "main" account as well as one of the other ones.

This must have some sort of solution. I've tried everything here in the thread....Except for the delete and recreate account, since it's the primary account attached to the hosting account.

What can one do?!

Thanks in advance.