The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Exchanger Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by evisions, Feb 25, 2004.

1. evisions

evisions Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to cpanel, and I'm currently rearranging my hosting accounts onto my new cpanel box. I have several hosting clients which are hosting on my Windows machine, but I want to host their mail on my cpanel machine (mail only account). I need to get this right the first time so that the clients don't loose any mail. Currently the clients are setup with their mx record as mail.domain.com on the windows machine. Cpanel wants the mx record to be domain.com with a cname mail.domain.com to use for pop. This won't work for me as domain.com needs to point to the windows box for web.

If I create an A record for mail.domain.com (or perhaps mail2.domain.com) and change the mx record to point to that, will it cause any issues with cpanel or exim?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, no problem. cPanel just sets it that way "because it does", however, that has nothing to do with how DNS works, and doing what you propose should work just fine - it's similar to what we do for some clients.

3. evisions

evisions Well-Known Member

Thanks Johnathan, I appreciate the assistance.