The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail filter: Can I send a *copy* ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by platypus, Jun 25, 2007.

1. platypus

platypus Member

I'd love to set up a cPanel mail filter where messages that match a certain filter will be sent to a SECONDARY, external email address, AS WELL AS the originally-intended address. For example, I want all mail that comes to an address to abc@def.com to be sent to abc@gmail.com (or whatever) but ALSO to the original address. This is so I can send emails from certain people from my phone, which only works with certain accounts (like gmail). However, I don't want to forward these messages, as I still intend to reply to these messages at the original address.

I'm afraid of putting something like abc@def.com,abc@gmail.com in the destination field, as I'm afraid it will create an infinite loop.

Please help!

THANKS!

2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

If you have a POP/IMAP account setup for abc@def.com and create a forwarder for abc@def.com => abc@gmail.com, then it will both stay in the POP account and be forwarded. No need for two forwarders or two addresses.

If you don't have a POP account, and want to distribute the email to two addresses, create 2 forwarders:
    abc@def.com => abc@gmail.com
    abc@def.com => abc@yahoo.com

Don't use one forwarder with a comma.

3. platypus

platypus Member

Everything I have read has told me that if you use cPanel to *forward* email, it will not save a copy. It will REDIRECT the email to the location you specify, and you will only get it there. I don't see how the use of a POP/IMAP account is going to affect the behavior on cPanel's end. Are you saying that cPanel will treat the forward differently depending on if I am forwarding to a POP/IMAP account or not? How can it know?

Plus, I was hoping to send a copy of emails that match a *filter*, not by doing a blind forward. Thanks!

4. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

As I described, cPanel will always save a copy if it's got a POP account at that address. That's just how it works. That's how I have some of my accounts setup (store + forward).

I misread your question- thought you were talking about forwarders, not filters.

I believe a filter will still stay at the address as well, just as a forwarder does. Try it and see. If not, you can forward to both, it will not create an endless loop.

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have a forwarder and an email account with the same name, it will process both.

6. platypus

platypus Member

I'm still having trouble with the filters. As a test I set up this kind of a thing:

cPanel's xyz.com domain email filter:

Any email coming from abc@gmail.com, send to def@gmail.com

Then I send an email from abc@gmail.com to user@xyz.com.

The email properly appears in def@gmail.com's email box, but checking the POP mail for user@xyz.com indicates that no copy was saved. My message isn't there!

I haven't tested using the forwarder. I'm trying to avoid that approach because it will be forwarding lots of spam to my phone! I don't want that. I use Thunderbird to do a lot of client-side spam filtering, so that's why I wanted to do this with a filter... there are literally only about 3 people whose emails I want to send a copy to this secondary address.

Thanks!