The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Filtering: Problem Escaping A Period (Regex)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by TBear, Jul 3, 2004.

1. TBear

TBear Registered

"Escaping" a period does not appear to be working (my host using 9.4.1-STABLE Build 65)

Using "\." (backslash period) to "escape" a period and treat it as a "literal" does not appear to work.

Here's an example of a filter I'm trying to use:

$message_headers matches "80\.53\.152\."
    (a backslash precedes each of the 3 periods above)

Instead of treating the "escaped" periods as literal "periods", they are being treated as the meta character for a wildcard.

Because the period is NOT being escaped (despite my use of the backslash), the filter above traps:
    BUT it also traps
    80-53-152-
    and even
    80a53a152a

How does one ensure that an "escaped meta character", in this case the "peroid" will be treated as a literal?

Is there something special I must do to escape a period other than using the backslash? Despite escaping the periods, CPanel/exim continues to treat the periods as wildcards.

In summary, how can I ensure that Cpanel/exim will treat an escaped meta-character as a literal, not as a wildcard.

Sorry to be so wordy.

2. bjrubble

bjrubble Registered

I haven't tried unescaping characters this way, but for metacharacters (ie \b, \w, etc) it looks like backslashes get escaped twice along the way, so you need four of them to get a backspace into the final string.

ie. \\\\b -> \b in the final regex

so I'd try \\\\. instead of \.

3. Unhindered

Unhindered Registered

Anwer found

I was having the same problem. I found the answer in another post: backslashes are stripped a few times, so \+ becomes + .

FOUR backslashes are needed to equal one.

My new ongoing problem is that filtering only catches the first email address that matches.

My filter is set up to redirect username+string@domain.com to username@domain.com

If I send an email to: username1+string@domain.com AND username2@domain.com, only one email is received, at username1@domain.com

If I send an email to: username1+string@domain.com AND username2+string@domain.com, only one email is received, at username1@domain.com