The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Forwarders cannot be added

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wannes, Dec 30, 2004.

1. wannes

wannes Member

In Mail Manager, I can create a mailbox (Manage/Add/Remove Accounts) & send/receive mail to the registered domain, like jm@domain-one.be.

When I try to Add a Forwarder (Forwarders / Add Forwarder) I get a message that all went well,
    like:

All email sent to info@domain-one.be will now be redirected to johan.morris@domain-two.be

However, when I click the [Go Back] button, the list of forwarders is still empty and no forwarders are working. :mad:

None of the @domain-one.be addresses used in the forwarders are existing mailboxes.

It is also not possible to change the "Default Address" into the (one) working mailbox that I added...
    Here also, I get the "success" message first, but when I click the [Go Back] button nothing has changed.

What is going wrong here??? Is there anything that I can do about it?

#1 wannes, Dec 30, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  2. WebzPro

WebzPro Active Member

Same problem here. Any ideas??

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

What cpanel theme are you guys using ? Sometimes this happens with an out of date cpanel theme. You may also want to try a upcp --force, failing that contact your distributor for further assistance.

4. wannes

wannes Member

Theme used works on other servers...

The Theme is the same on 3 different servers:

Theme: cPanel X v2.5.0
    cPanel Build 9.9.9-RELEASE 14

Only one of the 3 servers has this mail-forwarding-does-not-work problem.

There are no other themes available ...

My provider says they are waiting for a fix for this "bug" and that they can do nothing about it.
    They are awaiting a fix for over one month now, but "there are so many bugs with every update of Control Panel that the wait for fixes like this one can be very long".

In the meantime, I'm paying for a mailservice that is completely useless.

If the server would run some sort of "Windows", one would expect such random behaviour, but I thought Unix was a bit more serious :eek:

#4 wannes, Jan 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

A lot of bug's really can be attributed to poor server administration, thats not to say what your experiencing is not a cpanel bug or your provider is lacking. There are however steps your provider can take to resolve this issue. A start would be perhaps trying another cpanel theme to see if the problem resolves. They could also try a /scripts/upcp --force and see if that fixes the issue. Its very easy to pass the blame on to someone else. That's not to say cpanel doesn't have its issues, however I'm not having this issue on any of my servers, and I run 10+ cpanel servers of my own and administrate much more than that for private clients.

Point is, your "provider" can take the pro-active stance, or just lay the blame on another party. One of these requires a little bit of elbow grease and effort. If they're not happy with cpanel's performance, they shouldn't be providing their paying clients with a product they have no trust or belief in.

Has your provider provided you with a bugzilla ID for this bug ? or any further details? I'd be quite interested in hearing more myself, incase I face a similar situation.

6. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Check the actual file in /etc/valiases/domain.name - check the ownership, the contents, the modes, check it exists.

Try tailing /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log while you're updating the forwarder to see if there is an error.

7. wannes

wannes Member

I compared these with a troublefree-working Cpanel-site and:
    -> there are 6 files in both cases
    passwd 0 k 644
    passwd,v 0 k 444
    quota 0 k 644
    quota,v 0 k 444
    shadow 0 k 640
    shadow,v 0 k 444
    -> permissions per file are the same on both servers
    -> but the "non-working" site has almost empty files, the most recent date in it is december 4th ...

That is probably a suggestion for the support-people at my hosting company, since I don't see these folders ... I'll tell them.

By the way: thanks all for the suggestions, keep them coming
    :rolleyes:

#7 wannes, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  8. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Those files are in /etc/valiases ? They shouldn't be. In /etc/valiases you should have a file named identical to each domain hosted.

9. wannes

wannes Member

No, is just re-asked & we'll see...

10. wannes

wannes Member

No, they are in /etc/valiases/domain.be . That's where you suggested I should look, no??

11. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

I just ran into this problem unexpectedly, manually entering the forwarders into /etc/valiases/domain.com worked.

12. wannes

wannes Member

valiases gone ...

I was going to (re)try some of the suggestions here, but hey, there no longer is an /etc/valiases/domain.name folder on any of the servers. It's all /etc/domain.name now

And my provider isn't answering any calls, they're probably all gone skiing somewhere. :(