Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mail from mailma-bounces@mailman

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by marshal, Jul 1, 2006.

1. marshal

marshal Registered

CPanel is behind another machine which functions as the mail gateway. It looks like the password reminders all bounced.

The From line looks correct: "From: [listname]-owner@[domain]"

However, the problem appears to be: "Return-path: <mailma-bounces@mailman>"

and the error message is "504 <mailma-bounces@mailman>: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address"

How do I fix this so messages go out from a deliverable address? I looked, but I was unable to find anywhere where I can configure this.

2. cass

cass Well-Known Member

I have the same exact problem.

not enought with this... I tags my Brute force detector... and I get tons of mails with a supposed ban command executed for my hostname hehee.

anyway I get tons of ....
    2006-08-01 13:23:57 H=localhost (my.hostname.com) [127.0.0.1] sender verify defer for <mailma-bounces@mailman>: host lookup did not complete 2006-08-01 13:23:57 H=localhost (my.hostname.com) [127.0.0.1] F=<mailma-bounces@mailman> temporarily rejected RCPT <client@email.com>: Could not complete sender verify 2006-08-01

so, what's this?
    is this someone trying to SPAM using mailman, or this is just a mailman error or something like ????

Someone please help fix this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. teddyb

teddyb Active Member

Hi, we have the exact problem. What is being done about this? Anything?

4. cass

cass Well-Known Member

Did anyone found the issue?

It's happening to me again on one server.... same lines as posted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. troubleshooter

See the bug report here:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4535

This creates high loads on my VPS (and presumably on the other VPSes on the server) as it slows to a crawl on the 1st of the month. As soon as I delete the messages, everything goes back to normal.

--
    Terry

6. cass

cass Well-Known Member

well, nice to see it's happends to anyone else...

But I'm still with this problem, is there any place were I can fix/change this mailma-bounces to mailman-bounces as it should be or something.

no fix yet?

7. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

We had the same problem. It seemed that there was a mailing list with thousands of emails (about 40.000) that had about 1/3 of them bouncing due to non-existing e-mail addresses. We removed the mailing list and no more brute force detection in our server, no more high server loads etc.

1) Go to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists
    2) Do an ls and see the directory names
    3) Execute /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/dumpdb DIRNALE/config.pck |wc -l for every single subdirectory

Subtract about 140 from it and you'll have an output of how many e-mails exist in a mailing list. I bet one of those mailing lists has thousands of e-mails.

Let me know if it helped