The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail going missing between our cPanel server and external IP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mauritz, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a customer which uses our cpanel server for mail but their main A record is set to their own server (our cPanel server also manages the DNS for the domain).

When we send mail to any of the accounts on our cPanel server for that particular domain it seems to dissapear. I verified the MX record and it was indeed set to the domain name (example.com) which in DNS was point to the external IP address. We have changed it to point to mail.example.com which points to our server via an A record but the mail still dissapears.

We do not get a bounce back from our server or the external server nor can we find it on any of the 2 servers (via webmail on our server or mailx on the remote server). I have verified the exim logs and can see that when we send a mail to any of those accounts it does log the outgoing mail but thats the last we see of it.

I suspect it is a DNS issue but I honestly do not know where to start. Any ideas?

2. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This issue escalated quickly this morning to our entire mailserver not getting emails. All resolved :)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. Mauritz

Mauritz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The above was misdiagnosed actually, we ended up realising that none of our mails were being delivered (not just the ones we thought might be DNS related). The issue ended up being resource related :)